This post contains affiliate links, which means I get a very small percentage of sales from products (should you elect to purchase them) at no extra cost to yourself. This helps to provide support in continuing to bring you great content on this site.
It's that time of the year again. Winter holiday decor starts coming out (or for some retailers, it has been up for a month already). Shopping malls become busier. Festive decorations come back out from storage.
Growing up I celebrated Christmas in my family's home, but now I celebrate Hanukkah. This year, both Hanukkah and Christmas happen to be on the same date on the calendar (which actually doesn't happen that often). While this adds to the festivity of the season, it also means that celebrations are at the same time. There will be some busy and fun days ahead!
As we draw closer to the holiday celebrations, I know what's about to happen: family members will begin to ask us what our little guy needs for gifts. It's not an easy question to answer quickly, as we are often provided ample hand-me downs, and I always want to be on the lookout for toys that will match my child's upcoming developmental changes and abilities (not just something that he will play with "right now"). Our preference is to get toys or books that will grow with him, and challenge him in different ways.
Below are two lists of gift ideas - one for babies (some of the best toys we received last year that we loved), and another one for toddlers (the new domain we are entering). Hopefully a few of these ideas will inspire your wish lists, or provide you with a few ideas to share with your families if they are asking for ideas as well! Hover over the item title to link to the item online for your convenience.
GIFT IDEAS FOR BABY (0-12 Months):
- Manhatten Toy Winkel
- Books! Including, but not limited to, Manhattan Toy Farmyard Friends Soft Activity Book
- LeapFrog My Pal Scout
- Melissa and Doug Rainbow Stacking Rings
- Infantino Squeeze & Stack Block Set
- Skip Hop Bandana Buddies Activity Toy, Elephant
- Tiny Love 810 Super Deluxe Lights and Music Gymini Activity Gym
- Hape Country Critters Wooden Activity Play Cube
- VTech Sit to Stand Learning Walker
- Oball Rattle or Oball Rainstick
- Skwish Stix by Manhattan Toys or Infantino Stick and Spin High Chair Pal as high chair toys.
- Fisher Price Bounce, Stride and Ride Elephant
- Melissa and Doug 20 Wooden Farm Magnets, or really any interactive learning magnets (shapes, safari, etc.)
GIFT IDEAS FOR TODDLERS (1 Year to 3 Years):
- Fisher-Price Little People Animal Friends Farm
- VTech Magic Star Learning Table
- Melissa and Doug Band in a Box
- Hape - Pound & Tap Bench with Slide Out Xylophone
- First words books, including First 100 Words Book Lift a Flap (many variations)
- Melissa & Doug's Cook's Corner Wooden Kitchen
- Learning Resources Farmers Market Color Sorting Set
- Melissa & Doug Cutting Food - Play Food Set
- Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Clock - Wooden Educational Toy
- Smart Wheels Spinning Spiral Tower Playset by VTech
- Mega Blocks
- Little Tikes Workbench
- For transit beyond the stroller, either Little Tikes 4-In-1 Deluxe and Relax Recliner Trike Ride on or Step2 Wagon for 2 Plus Blue
- Sunshines Kid Playhouse Play Tent Playtent Pop Hut Castle For Toddlers Indoor Outdoor
- Animal Spell Wooden Toys Puzzle Blocks Drawing Board for Children
What are some of the toys on your list for your little one? Any favourites that aren't listed here? Comment below and let me know!