It's been more than a decade since my husband and I used to travel south to Florida regularly to gain some reprieve from the Canadian winter - before we were a family unit of three, and when life was a bit more carefree from moment to moment. Lunch wasn't on a schedule back then, and we didn't have to stop for a mid-day nap (well, most of the time). Travel days were filled with lots of exploring and tasting at different eateries. On one trip to Tampa, my husband found a little pizza shop that created some amazing variations of Stromboli. These were not just any Stromboli - they were loaded with cheese and meat and flavour so much so, that since finding them he's claimed no other Stromboli could ever come close to. Part of what he claimed made the Stromboli irresistible was the combination of meat, cheese (lots of it), and even more meat layered inside of a thinner outer crust. Essentially, there was an abundance of filling! Well, then, challenge accepted!
Recently, I perfected a pizza dough recipe (Best Garlic & Herb Whole Wheat Pizza Dough) which my family loves, and it's a recipe that can easily be made in a stand mixer without much supervision or hands-on kneading. So I decided to take the great leap and use that dough to finally try and create a Stromboli that would knock my family's socks off. Keeping in mind, I now must also cater my creations to what my toddler likes as well. No pressure, right?
It's taken me a few years, and I've experimented off and on, but the final resulting Stromboli packs in lots of meat, cheese & even veggies. We've tried a few flavour combinations now ... to be thorough in our testing, you know? The Best Herb & Garlic Whole Wheat Pizza Dough further adds to the Easy Spinach and Pastrami Stromboli's deliciousness. As it turns out, my kiddo loves savoury things, so the herbs and garlic have him completely overlooking the whole wheat crust factor, just like the meat and cheese in the Stromboli filling have him overlooking the combination of mushrooms, spinach and onions packed inside of this flavour bomb. I've also include a few other ingredients we used as filling substitutions that worked well (in case you want to interchange some ingredients to create your own masterpiece). What are your favourite flavours for Stromboli?
Easy Spinach & Pastrami Stromboli
Yield: 2 large Stromboli
Preparation Time: 25 minutes (+10 minutes, if making the dough)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes (+10 minutes, if making the dough)
Adapted From: Just A Taste
- 1 pizza dough (The Best Herb & Garlic Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe or a 1 pound pizza dough from the store)
- 1 cup of diced salami / pepperoni / chicken
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach (or chopped Swiss Chard, stems removed)
- 1large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced ( or 1 can of artichoke hearts in water, diced)
- 100 g of shaved pastrami (or any kind of shaved meat)
- 1 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Divide the pizza dough into two halves
- Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle measuring 10x14 inches.
- Transfer the dough onto your parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix together the diced meat (salami / pepperoni / chicken) with the spinach, onion, artichoke hearts and 1 cup of the tomato sauce.
- Position the dough so that the longer side is closest to you, then arrange half of the meat and vegetable mixture in the center of the dough.
- Top the meat and vegetable mixture with the half of the shaved pastrami, and then half of the grated mozzarella.
- Beginning 1 inch from the top of the dough, cut 1 inch slits from the center of the dough outward toward the edges.
- Fold the top portion of the dough over then alternately braid the strips across the center. Cut off any excess dough then tuck the two end pieces into the braid of the Stromboli.
- Prepare the second Stromboli following steps 3 to 9.
- Bake the Stromboli for 20-25 minutes until it's golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the Stromboli from the oven, transfer it to a rack and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
You can make the Herb & Garlic Whole Wheat Pizza Dough in the morning and let it rise in the fridge so it's ready to go once dinner time arrives. You could also pre-chop the ingredients the night before to ensure quick assembly at mealtime.