It's grilling season, which means time for easy hamburger recipes for dinner! This burger recipe is one my family's favourites. And the ingredients that flavour it are arguably one of the best burger seasonings for grilling that you'll easily have on hand, any time at all, in your pantry!
When I first moved into my neighbourhood, we started checking out the local restaurants. At first, it was because our kitchen wasn't set up. But also, it's also a good thing to know where you can order on occasion if you need a night off from the kitchen!
One little place we ran across was a family-run restaurant that focussed on shawarma and burgers. I'm not usually a fan of restaurants that dabble in more than one type of food, so I was hesitant at first to check it out. Then one day a coworker recommended it to me, claiming this place was one of the best burger joints in the region. Well, you had me at "best burger"... haha! So we tried it. And loved it.
As it turns out, they had the most amazing burger that was seasoned like Kofta Kebabs. A delicious, mouth watering burger that was seasoned with fragrant and savoury Middle Eastern spices that left me craving more. And they also had long lines circling around the interior of the restaurant. Now I knew why.
Fast forward to present day, with an impatient toddler in tow, and I don't have time to wait in 25 minute lines for a Kofta Burger. So, I decided to make my own version for the upcoming grilling season! And let's be honest... there is nothing better than a homemade burger. So easy, so delicious, and literally less than half the price of the pre-made burgers in the grocery stores.
I will often make a double a batch of these burgers and freeze them so I can make a quick burger with a side salad in a pinch when it's been a long day and I don't want to bother with takeout. Quick tip - always keep a few burger buns in your freezer so you can pull off this meal! They cook great right from frozen, just like the grocery store burgers. And if you want a few more tips on how to make foods freezer friendly, check out my previous post on How to Make Your Own Freezer Meals: Part 1.
But back to the main event, the amazing Kofta Burgers. They are a fast and easy dinner to make, which is always a win with a busy (hungry) family. And I love that it's not a flavour combination grocery stores have caught onto yet (nor any restaurants beyond my local joint). I hope you enjoy these unique burgers as much as my family does!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 burgers
- 1.5 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tbsp grated onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Grate the onion.
- Mix the onion into the ground beef along with the garlic powder, salt, parsley, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and pepper in a mixing bowl until well blended.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties.
- Place the burgers onto a baking sheet or a flat container, cover, and freeze for at least 30 minutes, or until you wish to cook them. NOTE: If you are cooking the burgers beyond 12 hours from the time that they go into the freezer, ensure they are sealed in freezer safe plastic bags and that the burgers have parchment paper in-between them to prevent them sticking to one another.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to a medium-high heat (400F-450F), and lightly oil grate.
- Cook the burgers on the preheated grill, turning once around 3-4 minutes, until the beef has cooked to your desired degree of doneness, about 6-8 minutes for medium-well. The internal temperature of the burger should be 170F.
What's the best hamburger seasoning that you use for your grilling? Comment below and let us know! We love changing it up from time to time!