This Grilled Niçoise-Style Potato Salad is an easy recipe and healthy summer meal that is a perfect outdoor BBQ dinner idea for busy families! I know when I’m thinking about dinner ideas for the family, and the days are getting warmer, we want a dinner recipe that ideally we can cook outside.
This week I’m pleased to be partnering with EarthFresh to bring you a fast, light and family-friendly grilling recipe that features their new Carisma potatoes. The Carisma potatoes are unique because they are a non-GMO variety that produces a lower glycemic response. This is made possible by having the potatoes grown in specific geographical areas, and also being brought straight to the consumer from the fields to prevent changes to the starch content that can occur.
I love that the Carisma potatoes cook so well when sliced on the grill. But what are some other bonuses to this awesome recipe? It has very few dishes, it can be ready in 35 minutes, you don’t have to turn on the oven in the summer heat, and you can serve the meal in a deconstructed format (with the ingredients separate) for the kids if they don’t prefer the salad format. Or simply toss all of the great flavours together for the rest of the family!
This is an easy, healthy, quick dinner that allows the potatoes to cook quickly by slicing them thinly. It is absolutely perfect for busy families! And I have to say, the Carisma potatoes really shine in taste and texture when they are sliced, grated or cut into smaller pieces. What I love about finding ways to use potatoes in these ways is that they will always cook quickly! Once all of the ingredients are prepared and the dressing is mixed, the final ingredients are grilled, and then the meal is ready to serve (plus, no extra dishes if you use your BBQ!).
Meal Prep Tips:
If you want to make this dinner even faster to assemble, prepare the dressing the night before, pre-trim the green beans, and pre-chop the salad greens. Keep them fresh by storing them in a container with paper towels to prevent condensation build-up. These meal preparation steps will only take you about 10 minutes, but will make your meal that much faster the next night, likely allowing you to have dinner ready in only 20-25 minutes!
*This post is sponsored by EarthFresh. Thank you for supporting brands that make The Messy Little Kitchen possible, and keep me working at home with my little guy cooking along by my side!
Grilled Potato Niçoise-Style Salad
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large fillet of salmon, no more than 1 inch thick (1 lb/500 g total)
- 16 oz (500 g) Carisma potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch thick slices (approximately 5 Carisma potatoes)
- 8 oz (250 g) yellow beans (or asparagus), trimmed
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into eight wedges
- 4 cups (1 L) torn green or red leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pitted black olives
- 2 tsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
Dill Dressing / Marinade Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. In jar with lid (e.g. 500 mL canning jar), shake together oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic, maple syrup, dill, salt and pepper. Pour 2 tbsp (30 mL) into a medium glass pan; add salmon and turn to coat. Let stand to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, trim beans. Place beans into a medium bowl with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the dressing. Toss to thoroughly combine. Place into a tin foil packet (or learn how to make one here) to cook on the grill.
3. Using the same bowl, slice the Carisma potatoes into ¼ inch slices and place into the bowl. Toss with 2 tsp of canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Warm up the grill to 400F.
5. While the grill is warming, in a large bowl, place the olives, lettuce, and slice in your tomato wedges.
6. Place the yellow beans, salmon, and Carisma potatoes on a grill over medium-high heat keeping it around 375F to 400F. Close the cover and grill, turning the yellow beans and the Carisma potatoes once (around 3 minutes).
7. Continue to cook until the Carisma potatoes are tender and the salmon is cooked through (use a meat thermometer to check that the internal cooked temperature is 145F), about 6-8 minutes.
8. Remove salmon, potatoes and beans from the grill.
9. Take the salmon and flake it apart into large chunks.
10. In the large bowl with the salad ingredients, add in the grilled Carisma potatoes, beans and as much dressing as you wish to add to make it flavourful; divide salad among plates. Arrange chunks of salmon on top.