Perhaps you're planning an Irish themed party, or simply looking for ideas for St. Patrick's Day dishes. Regardless, this delicious, fast and easy beef stew recipe is one that you can throw almost effortlessly into the Instant Pot or your multi use pressure cooker and it is sure to become a new family favourite!
Once upon a time, I travelled to Australia, and while there I visited and stayed with some fabulous friends. One day we went touring together in the Barossa Valley wine region, and before departing for the day our hostess threw on a simple and delicious beef stew in the slow cooker. It was so amazing to come home to that recipe, and I asked for the recipe before we departed.
Over the years, I've modified the recipe fair bit. But my newest obsession is the Instant Pot, a multi use pressure cooker. I decided that I wanted to take the same flavours and elements I loved about this Irish Beef Stew from Australia and adapt it for the Instant Pot - with one key change being that pressure cookers will not boil off the alcohol like a slow cooker recipe would.
The key to a recipe like this, as it turns out, is to boil off the alcohol for a few minutes on the sauté function just before turning on the pressure cooker. This allows the recipe to have that depth of flavour in the stew from the beer, yet it doesn't leave it with a bitter taste (which would happen if the alcohol was added straight into the pressure cooker with no way to be boiled off).
Irish Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes (this includes the 10 minute natural pressure release)
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 tbsp canola oil (or olive oil)
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp of pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup of Guinness Beer (if you are using a Belgian Beer above 6% reduce to 1/3 cup)
1 lb of beef (inside round roast), cut into 1" bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 cup of small new potatoes, halved or quartered into bite sized pieces (depending on their size)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 cup beef stock
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp warm water
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot on the sauté function.
- Add in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, ground pepper and beer. Saute until the liquid is reduced by almost half (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add in the beef, potatoes, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and beef stock. Stir until combined.
- Close the Instant Pot and set it on manual for 20 minutes, high pressure, with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Once the stew is finished cooking, whisk together the warm water and cornstarch until completely combined. Stir cornstarch and water mixture into the stew.
- Serve & enjoy!